Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Kaure-Muala’s 2nd Birthday



Let me introduce you all to Maxine’s son, Kuare-Muala (Kaure for short). Maxine is Jane’s counterpart for those of you not in the know, and Kaure is an example of the reason that cluckiness can be a problem here.



Jane & Max...



On the weekend we celebrated his 2nd birthday. So in the usual way of children’s birthday parties there were children, loud noises, party games and short attention spans. But none of that mattered coz the kids were all having a good time, and we only get to have a birthday once a year.

Party games included the favourites of pass the parcel, egg and spoon race, treasure hunt, and the dance off. The dance off was particularly good in getting the kids to burn off all the excess sugar they had eaten throughout the day – I quite liked it. There were of course the compulsory tears, but they were short-lived and forgotten as soon as they were finished.



So many cute children in the one room! Now I’m not one that usually gets clucky, but when you look at these kids, how could you not? Kaure is here with his friend Lani and his new prized possession – the wheelbarrow. And one of Lani as well.




You’ll all be glad to know that in my tradition of scarves and birthdays I stayed up until 2am the night before finishing off Kaure’s. Yes it’s Papua New Guinea, and scarves are probably not that essential – but who am I to break a tradition?



To finish off this post I’ll leave you with some pictures of Kaure dressed up in Trobriand Island traditional dress. How cute!


By the way Cam is going to be away until about the 27th of August for the new placement that he has. We're sorry to be so circumspect about all of that but now it is pretty offical and he'll let you all know about it... in detail... when he gets back, in the mean time have a look at the two links to the right of screen (not google or gutenburg) and if you are lucky you might even find a cheesy bio of him on the CORAL site.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there
Thanks for the great photos of Maxi and Kaure_M! These are the first we've seen of him. Also tks for the chance to see something of Hagita HS again. I was in PNG 20 yrs ago now! Maxis mum Rona was my 'counterpart'. Then I was lucky enough to be Maxi's Ozzi 'mum' for a short time- and yes- I still have withdrawal symptons- for PNG, Rona, and of course gorgeous Maxi!
Enjoy it all
Cheers/lukim yu
Elaine (and Julian)

7:09 pm  
Blogger Jane & Cam said...

No ken wori Elaine! I'm glad that I was able to assist in getting Kaure's pictures out there so you could see them :)

I've heard so much about you (and Julian) from Maxine that I feel like I know you already. Hope all is well in SA, and please keep checking our blog for your PNG 'fix', update etc. :)

1:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful! What a funky little kid!

And thanks for the mat, Cam!

3:18 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home